Monday, January 17, 2011

Week 14: NutriSystem; & Don't give up on me

In January of 2008, I joined the NutriSystem meal plan program because my doctor had told me I needed to lose about 20 pounds to be at a healthier weight. I love, love, LOVE the program and have been on it for three years now. I lost about 15 pounds in the first year or so, but I eat out a lot with friends during golf season between April and September and don't follow the progam like I should (plus I have a weakness for and snack too often on Gummy Savers, Trail Mix, and Creamy Jif peanut butter), so I've since gained about 10 of those pounds back. But I love the convenience of having 28 meals (including dessert) delivered to my doorstep every month (I just buy veggies, fruit, dairy and a few other foods), and I can have breakfast, lunch or dinner (including several yummy soups!) zapped in the microwave in 60 seconds or less! And I really like the taste of the food I order.

On June 12, 2010, My friend ES sent me an e-mail message with a recipe for Gazpacho and said he had seen on Facebook that I'm cooking again (brownies) and he thought I might enjoy the soup as it's a great accompaniment to sandwiches and chips on a hot day.

I replied:

"Oh, no... I still don't cook!  I have 3 staples that I can and do make/bake/fix on a regular basis: brownies, pasta salad (Suddenly Salad), and Ebleskievers (for breakfast). (My friend CS) saw my Soup cookbook on my kitchen counter (where it still lives) recently and asked me what ever happened to The Soup Diaries, and I said it seems it was a passing phase. She's hoping I'll get back into that one of these days. Never say never. This recipe does sound kind of good, thanks, though I don't care for peppers (either bell or jalapeno) and onions, so can it be made w/o them, or can something be substituted for those? I also don't have a blender or food processor --my (magic squisher) died a couple of weeks ago. I only ever used it to make smoothies, but I used it a lot for those and finally wore out (broke) the blade attachment part on the base. Went to Walgreens to get a new one last weekend but they were out. I'll let you know when I get a new one and if I try this out. Did you tell (JO, who had given me the Soup cookbook and is a phenomenal cook) I baked brownies and took them over to welcome my new neighbor, and was she duly impressed and proud of me? You don't need to share the rest of this with her--she'll be appalled."

I didn't get a response back, and I'm sure they both think I'm hopeless....

"If I fall short
If I don't make the grade
If your expectations aren't met in me today
There's always tomorrow, or tomorrow night...
Sooner or later I know I'll get it right
Please don't give up on me
Oh please don't give up on me..."
~Solomon Burke

No comments:

Post a Comment