Monday, January 17, 2011

Week 6: New Cookware!

This week I was going to a potluck dinner for the cast and crew of a production we did at work, and I got all excited thinking I could make soup to take. But then the hosts said they were providing lasagna, spaghetti and fried chicken, and everyone else just needed to bring a salad, side dish, or dessert to share. So, no soup this week.

The good news, however, is that when I ran in to the grocery store for five minutes to pick up something to take to the potluck dinner, I happened to notice a big box on the bottom shelf in the baking aisle near the cooking utensils, plastic storage containers, cookie sheets, etc. The box was a 7-piece cookware set, and it was GREEN! There was only one box--no other type, no other color, just one box of heavy-duty, nice and sturdy, Teflon-coated cookware, and it was just what I wanted! It's called Magnifica by Rondine (made in Italy--"Good Looks & Great Performance"), and it includes a 1 qt. covered saucepan, a 2 qt. covered saucepan, a 5 qt. Dutch oven, and a 10" open fry pan (Dutch oven cover fits fry pan). The covers are glass (oddly, they have "Made in France" embossed on them) with black handles that match the black handles on the pots and pans. I was so excited that I couldn't wait to get home from the dinner so I could unpack them and put them on my stove. They look beautiful in my kitchen! Haven't used them yet, but they look great. My dad was glad to hear I’d found what I wanted--he’s been looking all over for a set for me for two and a half months, and he’s seen nothing but black, gray, or stainless steel. My mom was glad to hear that my favorite grocery store came through for me—she said they may not have all of the ingredients I need for my soups, but at least they had my pots and pans.

I hear there’s a new International Grocery Store coming to town soon, so I’ll have to check it out once it’s built and opens. I don’t know what kinds of foods it’s going to carry, but I’m hoping it will have some good Italian selections. I haven’t yet been to the Asian market that we have, but I hear they have a good variety of Asian foods and ingredients. Maybe I’ll find an Asian soup recipe and investigate that for next week.

"Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."  ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

No comments:

Post a Comment