Monday, January 17, 2011

Week 8: Ten Months Later; & My Magic Squisher

Well, spring, summer and fall came and went with no cooking of soup. Now that winter’s here, it’s time to get back to it.

I didn’t do a lot of reading and learning about cooking during the past year, either. I tried to grow tomatoes in my garden last summer, but without much success. I had a few, but just enough to use on a salad every once in a while--certainly not enough to do any canning. I forgot to pick up some sea salt when I was at the beach in May, so my friend CS brought some back for me when she was out there in October. I had meant to look for soup bowls at the kitchen stores when I was at the beach in May and again in December, and at our local kitchen store here in town, but I forgot. I also didn’t think to put them on my Christmas list, so I still don’t have any soup bowls. And I still need a larger strainer. I did buy some storage containers this fall. 

My favorite new kitchen toy, though, is my “Magic Bullet,” which I saw on TV this fall and ordered right away. (I don’t like the violent connotation of “bullet,” though, so I call it my Magic Squisher.) It’s a compact, high-speed, versatile, labor-saving, countertop appliance that peels, chops, mixes, blends, whips, whisks, grinds, juices, grates and more—everything from chopped onions and minced garlic to light and creamy chocolate mousse--in 10 seconds or less. I’ve been using it to make fruit smoothies, tomato salsa, scrambled eggs, and omelets, and I’m looking forward to using it for my soups.

"Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence
Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance
Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence
Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance."
~Yoko Ono, Season of Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment